The perfect potato wedges – crispy on the outside and tender on the inside. Who doesn’t love them?
Roasting potato wedges became some sort of ritual in our kitchen and I can almost reproduce the recipe with my eyes closed. We love to have them as a snack on a lazy Friday evening, or with a delicious pico de gallo salsa. Mmm..
A few rules to consider before starting roasting potato wedges
1. Keep the potatoes with the skin on for a crispier taste and also for preventing the potatoes lose their shape.
2. Season the potatoes with a generous amount of fat (your favourite oil or melted butter). I usually use 4 tbsp of olive oil for 1 kg of potatoes. This will help them achieve the crispness you are after.
3. Roast the potatoes on a single layer in the baking tray, making sure they are not crowded or piled one on top of the other. A stuffed tray means mushy potatoes, as the steam won’t have enough space to escape and will soften too much the food.
4. Use a hot enough oven to roast the potato wedges. I recommend preheating your oven at 220°C (425°F). I’m using a convection oven, so the temperature level may vary form case to case. Generally, a convection oven requires to lower the temperature by approx. 25° compared to a conventional oven and vice versa. I recommend keeping an eye on your potatoes when making for the first time, in order to achieve the best results.
5. Add a tbsp of wine vinegar for a more flavourful result.
5. Choose medium sized potatoes, so when cut into wedges (first into halves, then into thirds), those will have the perfect size and thickness.
6. If you are not cooking the potatoes right away, set them aside in a bowl with cold water and a few splashes of lemon to prevent discolouration. But try not to keep them for too long, as they will absorb too much water and this will affect the end result.
I’ll leave you now with the recipe.
Let me know in the comments area if you try out this one. I’d love to hear your thoughts.
How To Roast Perfect Potato Wedges
The perfect potato wedges - crusty on the outside and tender on the inside
- 1 kg white potatoes (medium sized)
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp wine vinegar
- 1-2 tsp fresh thyme leaves
- 1 tsp coarse sea salt
- 1 tsp paprika
- ground pepper
Preheat the oven at 200-220°C (based on the type of oven you have).
Wash and scrub the potatoes with cold water and a vegetable brush.
Cut the potatoes in half lengthwise, then the halves into thirds.
In a large bowl, toss the potato wedges with the spices, thyme, oil and vinegar. Use your hands to evenly spread the spices.
Line a baking tray with parchment. Arrange the potatoes evenly on a baking tray, so they are not piled one on top of the other or crowded.
Roast for 35-40 minutes. If the potatoes don't seem to have a nice golden crust, switch your oven to broiling for the last 5 minutes of roasting.
Serve with your favourite dip or salad.
Keep refrigerated up to 3-4 days and warm in the oven before serving.
Perfect roast potato wedgesOctober 16, 2018 at 5:27 pm
[…] Perfect roast potato wedges […]